Before we get to the interview, here are the links for April Showers:
Without further ado, here are my questions and her answers…
- When did you realize you wanted to become a writer? –
I have always loved to read and write and have been plotting stories for years. But it was only last year that I actually sat down and gave writing the proper time and attention it deserved.
- Which book inspired you to write?
I can’t pinpoint it to just one book but reading definitely inspires me. I grew up reading the Harry Potter books so J.K.Rowling is definitely a big inspiration to me. She is a genius!
- How did April Showers come about?
I wanted to write a book about a girl moving away from home and starting University. The rest of my ideas just stemmed from there.
- What was the writing process like? Did you write it in order or different scenes before joining it all together?
As this was my first book, I just let the writing take control. I started off by writing the big scenes and then went back to the start and joined all of the scenes together. I also added scenes in during editing.
- How long did it take you to write April Showers?
It took me just under six months. I work full time so it took me a while to get into the rhythm of coming home and writing during the evenings.
- You’ve given us two book boyfriends, if you had to choose, which one would top the other?
I’m going to keep that a secret! I love them both. Even though they are completely different, they would do anything for April.
- Katie is a brilliant friend to April – shes always there with advice, was she based on anyone in particular?
I love writing for Katie, she’s so much fun! One of my best friends in real life is called Katie but that’s where the similarities end!
- The banter between everyone has me in stitches, where did you come up with all these lines?
Well I love sarcasm and I think that is pretty evident after reading the book 😉
- What made you choose Manchester University for the school April, Lukas and Isaac attend?
Manchester is my home town so I wanted to pay tribute to it! I also went to a University in Manchester.
- Rain scenes and kissing in the rain covers are my favourite. The rain scene in the book is a pretty pivotal moment in April’s life. Did you always know that the rain scene would be the scene to change everything?
Yes, right from the start, I knew that the rain scene was going to be the turning point in the book.
- There are some pretty shocking events that occur in April Showers that I had no idea they were going to happen. Has anyone else guessed before they were revealed, or were they just as surprised as me?
I think most people have been surprised by them, which is what I was aiming for!
- April is a big believer in fate, are you?
YES! I am a huge believer in fate. Good or bad, I think that everything happens for a reason.
- I highlighted so many quotes in April Showers, which one(s) is your favourite?
I love when Katie is giving April some advice and says this – “You deserve a man who makes you feel butterflies. Love isn’t safe. Love is crazy and scary and unpredictable. You can’t control it and you sure as hell can’t fight it. It’s one of life’s greatest risks…but it’s also one of life’s greatest gifts.” This is so true!
- Would you get a tattoo of that quote?
No because it’s too long but I also like the quote – ‘No rain, no rainbow.’ I would consider getting that as a tattoo 🙂
- Have you thought about who you would like to play each character if April Showers was made into a film?
Yes, I think that every writer has their dream cast! Just based on looks, I imagine April to look like Emma Roberts, Lukas to look like Alex Pettyfer and I’m not sure if there is anybody hot enough to play Isaac 😉 But there is a guy called Rodrigo Guirao Diaz and he looks pretty close to how I imagine Isaac to look!!!
- Have you got a plan of what is going to happen in book two? And when will you begin to write it?
Yes, I know the main storyline for book two and I have already started planning. I know exactly what will happen in the first few chapters. I will begin writing it after April Showers is released. I won’t make my readers wait too long! Book two will definitely be out this year.
- And lastly, is there a deep, dark secret you would like to reveal?
😉 If I told you, I would have to kill you!
You can follow Karli at: